Japanese Social Game Publisher Cygames Has Over 20 Million Total Users
Japanese game developer Cygames (a CyberAgent subsidiary) has announced today that its social games portfolio has amassed more than 20 million registered users since the company came into being back in May of 2011.
As you may know, Cygames is the developer behind the wildly popular card battle game Rage of Bahamut, perhaps the most globally successful mobile game export put forth by any Japanese company on a smartphone. Of the 20 million registered users that Cygames is boasting of today, about half of those come from Bahamut alone, as the game passed 10 million users worldwide just a few days before Christmas.
The folks over at Gamebiz.jp point out that Cygames had 2.6 billion yen (almost $30 million) in net income in the fiscal year ended September 2012, which is a pretty astronomical growth metric for such a young company.
As you may recall, DeNA (TYO:2432) – who distributes Rage of Bahamut on its Mobage platform – saw enough promise in Cygames this past year to buy up a 20 percent stake in the company for the price of $92 million.
Cygames will certainly be a hot company to watch moving forward in the new year, so stay tuned to even more fun mobile games from them!
Rumor: The9 in Dire Financial Straits, Big Layoffs in Some Departments... April 12, 2012 | C. Custer
Japan’s Mobile Gaming Network, Mobage Coming To AT&T’s Android User... August 5, 2011 | Willis Wee
NMA Launches Ridiculous ‘North Korea Smackdown’ HTML5 Game... April 16, 2013 | C. Custer
MiniGames: A Review of Sina Weibo’s ‘One and One Story’... February 21, 2012 | C. Custer
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- Jerk on Which of these 14 popular MMORPGs did you play growing up?
- Asia Tidak Akan Kebagian Digimon All Star Rumble! on Digimon All Star Rumble is exclusive to the West, but buy an imported version anyway (VIDEO)
- Pinoy game developers gear up for the fifth Philippine Game Festival on Bari Silvestre: from Philippine factory worker to world-famous indie developer
- Bandai Namco lifts the lid on Gundam Breaker 2 on Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Full Boost review: a Gundamn good game
- Bandai Namco lifts the lid on Gundam Breaker 2 on Why Blizzard needs a publisher for Hearthstone in Vietnam
- Irven Kyle Pilones on F2P fighting game Rise of Incarnates coming to Steam Early Access in November with tons of new content
- Joseph on Steam finally adds the Philippine Peso to supported currencies
- Smash Bros, Destiny take over Japanese sales charts. on Destiny review: fabulously flawed
- World Championship 2014 – Team Guide (Part 1) | Gamestorian on ‘We hope to someday beat SKT’: an interview with Edward Gaming before the LPL playoffs
- World Championship 2014 – Team Guides (Part 1) | Gamestorian on ‘We hope to someday beat SKT’: an interview with Edward Gaming before the LPL playoffs