DeNA Taps Vietnamese Game Studio VNG to Make Mobile Social Games for Mobage
The Japanese company DeNA (TYO:2432) has announced this afternoon that it is tapping a Vietnamese games studio called VNG to bring new social games onto Mobage, DeNA’s global social gaming platform. VNG is one of Vietnam’s largest web companies, with 1,500 employees at present.
With this tie-up, DeNA will provide support for VNG in its production of new games that will be distributed on the Mobage platform. The aim is to create at least three new social games for smartphones on Mobage in 2012. It has not been revealed how much an investment and/or renumeration this entails.
VNG already has form in Japan, having very recently released its Flash-based Pig Farm (pictured above) social game on Yahoo’s (NASQAQ:YHOO) Mobage portal for PC browser-based games, which was produced with back-up from DeNA. That was the first Vietnamese social game to have launched in Japan. According to today’s press release, the first fruits of this formal tie-up will be the Japanese version of Sky Garden, another VNG social game, on Yahoo Mobage. The rest, it appears, will be mobile titles.
Also, this is not DeNA’s first foray into Vietnam. The Japanese web giant acquired the Punch Entertainment Vietnam studio back in September of this year. Today’s move is another vote of confidence in Vietnam. On that subject, Tetsuya Mori, MD of DeNA Asia, said:
Vietnam has a surprisingly strong Internet startup and game developer community. DeNA believes Vietnam will produce world-class developers and VNG is undoubtedly the strongest candidate. We are excited to develop a mutually beneficial, long-term relationship with VNG. DeNA is committed to supporting developers in Vietnam with and beyond Punch Entertainment and VNG.
Le Hong Minh, founder and CEO of VNG, added:
Our partnership with DeNA marks an important milestone for VNG as well as the whole developer community in Vietnam. Achieving success in the Japanese market is a dream for every game developer in Vietnam.
DeNA is pretty busy this week, as yesterday two major rivals, GREE (TYO:3632) and KDDI, said they were joining forces to sue DeNA over alleged anti-competitive practices. They’re suing for 1 billion yen (US$13 million). It relates to apparently pressuring game developers to keep them from building games on GREE’s platform.
Monster Fantasia: Nijibox Brings its Second Title to Southeast Asia via Kotagame... December 7, 2012 | Rick Martin
Is Chinese Game Company Giant Interactive Launching Its Own Payment Service?... July 30, 2013 | C. Custer
League of Legends Indonesia coming soon, aims to boost eSports in the country... September 9, 2013 | Hendy Wijaya
Rolling Babaa Mixes Donuts and Gravity in Physics-Based Puzzle Game... August 7, 2012 | Joshua Kevin
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- 8 lợi ích cho sức khỏe khi chơi game | mGO on 8 ways video games are good for your health
- 8 lợi ích cho sức khỏe khi chơi game - Game SkyGarden Mobile on 8 ways video games are good for your health
- sue on 17 famous games you didn’t know were made (or partially made) in Singapore (UPDATED!)
- Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft portado a Android por un fan vietnamita | Android adictos (abreviado) .com on One Vietnamese gamer has brought Hearthstone to Android
- Will Razer Adaro Girls mascots succeed in promoting the Adaro headphone line? on Razer CEO reveals secret to his company’s success: hyper-focus
- 8 lợi ích cho sức khỏe khi chơi game - Game Gowin Online on 8 ways video games are good for your health
- DirexPlay Lab's Sok & Sao's Adventure shows how local culture works in a game on Your local culture is awesome, but it doesn’t need to be in every game.
- 8 lợi ích cho sức khỏe khi chơi game - Game vFarm on 8 ways video games are good for your health
- 8 lợi ích cho sức khỏe khi chơi game - Game iWin on 8 ways video games are good for your health
- 8 lợi ích cho sức khỏe khi chơi game - Game MyFish - Thiên Đường Cá on 8 ways video games are good for your health