Flappy Bird is coming back, but does anyone actually care?
Earlier today Dong Nguyen, the creator of Flappy Bird, confirmed on Twitter that he would be bringing his game back to both the App Store and Google Play, just not anytime soon. After reading his tweet I couldn’t help wondering, does anyone actually care?
At first glance it would appear that people actually do. Within hours of Mr. Nguyen’s tweet, major news agencies like CNN had already posted about Flappy Bird’s coming return. But why?
Short answer: Click bait.
No one believes that Flappy Bird will be able to repeat its success with this reintroduction. The game’s viral success spurred on hundreds if not thousands of clones, and now has some pretty fierce competition. Flappy Bird wasn’t even original to begin with, and looking back, one might even wonder why or how it became popular to begin with.
The competition for this particular genre is now much stronger than ever, but what will really keep Flappy Bird from repeating its success is that people have moved on. Certainly the name Flappy Bird still draws attention, and is decent click bait for news agencies, but the game’s 15 minutes of fame is drawing close to an end.
By pulling Flappy Bird off the market, Mr. Nguyen became a household name, which was a phenomenal long term business move. Because of his name recognition, you can be sure that some gaming sites will cover any game he develops. He has become infamous, and through this infamy Mr. Nguyen will have a successful career.
That being said, Flappy Bird is on its last few flaps.
If you want to play Flappy Bird right now check out:
Flappy Bird is gone but not forgotten. Pay tribute to it in Flap MMO.
Flappy Bird may only live on in its .apk, but it certainly is not forgotten. The hit game that went viral over the turn of the Lunar New Year lives on.
Flappy Bird review: it’s frustrating, dumb, and ridiculously addictive
Flappy Bird is a mobile game that entails being a pixellated bird, flapping, and trying not to hit pipes. It's stupid, frustrating, impossible, and addictive as all hell.
Line Birzzle Hits Number 1 in App Stores Around Asia... July 5, 2012 | Rick Martin
The real reason for software piracy in China... January 10, 2014 | Iain Garner
Secrets of the Booth Babes at China’s ChinaJoy Games Conference... July 25, 2013 | C. Custer
Philippines’ pioneering studio Anino Games partners with Globe Telecommuni... January 28, 2014 | Xairylle
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- Official game for Disney’s Big Hero 6 is another match-3 puzzle RPG | Horizon Asia on How we think Gree’s Batman & the Flash: Hero Run hit 2 million downloads in 20 days
- 8 indie horror games from around Asia to help you spend Halloween alone and afraid | Horizon Asia on Tokyo Game Show proved developers are taking horror seriously again
- 8 indie horror games from around Asia to help you spend Halloween alone and afraid | Horizon Asia on DreadOut review: I’m terrified of Indonesia now
- Zombie beat ‘em up Devil’s Dare gets Halloween update | Horizon Asia on Here are some alarming facts that suggest Kickstarter game campaigns are running out of steam
- Gaming events in Asia are always more for the fans | Horizon Asia on Pokemon X & Y launch draws hundreds in Singapore (PICS)
- Indie game dev is tough whether you’re funded or not | Horizon Asia on Velocibox review: are you hardcore enough to take on this endless runner?
- 7 Tipos de Solo Mid (ruins) que você encontrará em Dota 2 | Midiálogo on 7 kinds of solo mid players you will encounter as a teammate in Dota 2
- The Secret to Successful eSports: Community - TechRaptor on The rise and fall of Mark Kern: how one man may have doomed Firefall and The9 (UPDATED)
- From Singapore to Taiwan, Gamevil is trying to lock down East Asia with another new branch | Horizon Asia on Gamevil expands its reach in Southeast Asia with new branch office
- Freedom Wars is more than just a game, and this helps players relate to it | Horizon Asia on Take down space T-Rexes in the upcoming Phantasy Star Nova hunting game