GREE Acquires Japanese Social Game Publisher Pokelabo for $173.8 Million
Pokelabo was established in 2007, the company has evolved from content development and eventually has moved into the area of social games for smartphones. Some notable games on its roster include Mystic Monsters, Sengoku Fantasia, and The Clan Battle of Fate.
Every two to three hours there’s an event happening within each of the games where all the players get together to form a team and fight against monsters and whatnot. That event creates a very sticky environment and engages users. People end up buying a lot of weapons and other items. The company is monetizing very well. […] They’re doing close to $4 million or $5 million a month and it’s growing. They are very profitable. They have maybe 1.5 million registered users and about 200,000 are daily active users.
He adds that GREE was a good fit for Pokelabo, representing the quickest route to taking its business global.
Of course, this is note the first blockbuster buy for GREE this year, as the company previously acquired San Francisco-based game developer Funzio back in May for $210 million dollars. Just last week that studio, now under the umbrella of GREE International, launched Monster Quest, which briefly made it to the number one position in the games category on the US app store for iPhone and iPad.
US, Japan, Korea Drive about 80% of Google Play’s Games Revenue... May 24, 2013 | Willis Wee
Toilet Time Is Not So Boring With ‘Fun Toilet Games: Panda Adventures’... August 6, 2013 | Dewi Yuliani
Supercell’s acquistion signals the Asian buying spree to come... October 16, 2013 | Francisco Yu
India’s Zapak Records 100 Million Game Downloads on Nokia Store... April 25, 2013 | Enricko Lukman
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- Official game for Disney’s Big Hero 6 is another match-3 puzzle RPG | Horizon Asia on How we think Gree’s Batman & the Flash: Hero Run hit 2 million downloads in 20 days
- 8 indie horror games from around Asia to help you spend Halloween alone and afraid | Horizon Asia on Tokyo Game Show proved developers are taking horror seriously again
- 8 indie horror games from around Asia to help you spend Halloween alone and afraid | Horizon Asia on DreadOut review: I’m terrified of Indonesia now
- Zombie beat ‘em up Devil’s Dare gets Halloween update | Horizon Asia on Here are some alarming facts that suggest Kickstarter game campaigns are running out of steam
- Gaming events in Asia are always more for the fans | Horizon Asia on Pokemon X & Y launch draws hundreds in Singapore (PICS)
- Indie game dev is tough whether you’re funded or not | Horizon Asia on Velocibox review: are you hardcore enough to take on this endless runner?
- 7 Tipos de Solo Mid (ruins) que você encontrará em Dota 2 | Midiálogo on 7 kinds of solo mid players you will encounter as a teammate in Dota 2
- The Secret to Successful eSports: Community - TechRaptor on The rise and fall of Mark Kern: how one man may have doomed Firefall and The9 (UPDATED)
- From Singapore to Taiwan, Gamevil is trying to lock down East Asia with another new branch | Horizon Asia on Gamevil expands its reach in Southeast Asia with new branch office
- Freedom Wars is more than just a game, and this helps players relate to it | Horizon Asia on Take down space T-Rexes in the upcoming Phantasy Star Nova hunting game