GREE Acquires Japanese Social Game Publisher Pokelabo for $173.8 Million
Pokelabo was established in 2007, the company has evolved from content development and eventually has moved into the area of social games for smartphones. Some notable games on its roster include Mystic Monsters, Sengoku Fantasia, and The Clan Battle of Fate.
Every two to three hours there’s an event happening within each of the games where all the players get together to form a team and fight against monsters and whatnot. That event creates a very sticky environment and engages users. People end up buying a lot of weapons and other items. The company is monetizing very well. […] They’re doing close to $4 million or $5 million a month and it’s growing. They are very profitable. They have maybe 1.5 million registered users and about 200,000 are daily active users.
He adds that GREE was a good fit for Pokelabo, representing the quickest route to taking its business global.
Of course, this is note the first blockbuster buy for GREE this year, as the company previously acquired San Francisco-based game developer Funzio back in May for $210 million dollars. Just last week that studio, now under the umbrella of GREE International, launched Monster Quest, which briefly made it to the number one position in the games category on the US app store for iPhone and iPad.
Thailand’s True Digital Plus Adds L.O.E. to Its Online Gaming Portfolio... July 23, 2013 | Saiyai Sakawee
Korea’s Playnery Scores $3.7 Million in Funding, Aims to Make Social Gamin... November 12, 2012 | Steven Millward
DeNA and Daum Target 10 Million Game Subscribers by End of 2012... November 30, 2011 | Rick Martin
Korea’s Quasi-Porn Game ‘Queen’s Blade Online’ is Coming... April 25, 2013 | C. Custer
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- Mille Paner on If you’ve hated mobile RPGs, Cross Summoner could change your mind
- Apung Jokay on China’s craziest WOW player has 247 level-90 accounts, and there’s more…
- Jayvee Garbonera on China’s craziest WOW player has 247 level-90 accounts, and there’s more…
- Vladimir on Branded breasts used to boost game sales in Vietnam
- Mgmg Myint on Branded breasts used to boost game sales in Vietnam
- John Tolentino on Branded breasts used to boost game sales in Vietnam
- Rob Gian on Branded breasts used to boost game sales in Vietnam
- Ezekiel John Gastalla on Branded breasts used to boost game sales in Vietnam
- Branded breasts used to boost game sales in Vietnam on Sex sells videos games, or does it?
- F444Ff on Smash Bros, Destiny top Japanese sales