GREE Acquires Japanese Social Game Publisher Pokelabo for $173.8 Million
Pokelabo was established in 2007, the company has evolved from content development and eventually has moved into the area of social games for smartphones. Some notable games on its roster include Mystic Monsters, Sengoku Fantasia, and The Clan Battle of Fate.
Every two to three hours there’s an event happening within each of the games where all the players get together to form a team and fight against monsters and whatnot. That event creates a very sticky environment and engages users. People end up buying a lot of weapons and other items. The company is monetizing very well. […] They’re doing close to $4 million or $5 million a month and it’s growing. They are very profitable. They have maybe 1.5 million registered users and about 200,000 are daily active users.
He adds that GREE was a good fit for Pokelabo, representing the quickest route to taking its business global.
Of course, this is note the first blockbuster buy for GREE this year, as the company previously acquired San Francisco-based game developer Funzio back in May for $210 million dollars. Just last week that studio, now under the umbrella of GREE International, launched Monster Quest, which briefly made it to the number one position in the games category on the US app store for iPhone and iPad.
Japan’s GREE Announces Plans For Five Overseas Subsidiaries... September 2, 2011 | Rick Martin
Disney to Acquire Korea’s Studio Ex, Plans to Develop More Games for Asia... December 11, 2012 | Rick Martin
New Weibo Games Stats Reveal How Sina Cracked Social Gaming... December 1, 2011 | Steven Millward
Rage of Bahamut: Not the Prettiest, But Hard to Put Down... May 3, 2012 | Rick Martin
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- St. Games’ fire: how these two 31-year-olds turned console gaming into an events startup | Horizon Asia on Qisahn.com: the story behind this Singapore video game shop
- Gamestart Asia convention wants to kickstart Southeast Asia’s gaming industry | Horizon Asia on Which is the top spending Asian country on games for 2014? (Oct 2014)
- Word Shift: Spelling Bee Game Apk v2.5.5 Free Download - WooAPK on The best of Asian mobile gaming: July 11 to July 18
- Ustanak (21. oktobar – crtica) | Beograd202 on Invest in smart TV games, eSports, and robotics for the future, says Kongzhong founder Nick Yang
- Why you (yes, you) should care about eSports right now | Horizon Asia on Retired Chinese LOL pro Misaya is making a fortune online
- Factors Driving Our $3.67 Price Estimate Of Renren | on China’s game market took in $13 billion in 2013, PC games generate way more than mobile
- 320,000 people just watched an esports star get married - buzzcarl on The top 8 moments from Dota 2’s The International 2014
- House of Heroes - Card Game Yang Meniru Karakter DoTA on Garena publishes its first English-language mobile game, and rips off Blizzard
- Razer reportedly closed a funding round from Intel that values the company at $1 billion | Horizon Asia on For the first time, Razer is relying on anime girl mascots to sell products. Here’s why.
- Garena’s House of Heroes mobile game rips off Blizzard on Asiasoft’s new English mobile game rips off Blizzard IP