GREE Again Cuts Down On International Business With Lay-Offs and Office Closures
Just last week The Nikkei reported about sales and profit sliding significantly for GREE (TYO:3632) between April and June (ahead of the company’s official announcement of its financial results for that quarter).
Back then, Japan’s biggest business publication reported that, in reaction, 20 or so first-party social games will be closed down, followed by TechCrunch learning today that GREE will shut down its European HQ in London.
And just now The Nikkei has reported online that this is not all: apart from the UK office, GREE is said to have decided to close down its presences in Sao Paulo, Amsterdam, and Dubai. These three offices were used only for marketing GREE games and didn’t have local staff.
GREE now operating in just 4 countries outside Japan
The Japanese newspaper also says that GREE is ready to let go a total of “30 to 40 people” in South Korea – that’s roughly 30 percent of GREE’s South Korean workforce. The Seoul office does create GREE’s mobile games for that market, such as the 3D RPG Lost In Stars.
GREE seems to be pulling out the axe to counter the negative trend in sales and profit – but so far only outside Japan.
To summarize, GREE is closing or has already closed a total of five international offices (in the UK, Brazil, the Netherlands, Dubai, China) and is laying off or has already laid off people in two (in the US and South Korea).
As a result, GREE will now be operating offices in a total of four countries outside Japan: the US, Canada, South Korea, and Singapore.
(Editing by Steven Millward and Anh-Minh Do)
China’s New TV Ban: No Web Game or Novel Adaptation, No Remakes of Foreign... August 3, 2012 | C. Custer
Intel Extreme Masters season 9 kicking off in China... May 21, 2014 | C. Custer
EA Japan Shows First Trailer For Tetris Monsters, Due To Hit iOS This Summer (VI... August 6, 2013 | Dr. Serkan Toto
Weekend time-waster: chapter 10 of the Dota 2 comic is here!... July 19, 2014 | Xairylle
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- 8 lợi ích cho sức khỏe khi chơi game - Game SkyGarden Mobile on 8 ways video games are good for your health
- sue on 17 famous games you didn’t know were made (or partially made) in Singapore (UPDATED!)
- Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft portado a Android por un fan vietnamita | Android adictos (abreviado) .com on One Vietnamese gamer has brought Hearthstone to Android
- Will Razer Adaro Girls mascots succeed in promoting the Adaro headphone line? on Razer CEO reveals secret to his company’s success: hyper-focus
- 8 lợi ích cho sức khỏe khi chơi game - Game Gowin Online on 8 ways video games are good for your health
- DirexPlay Lab's Sok & Sao's Adventure shows how local culture works in a game on Your local culture is awesome, but it doesn’t need to be in every game.
- 8 lợi ích cho sức khỏe khi chơi game - Game vFarm on 8 ways video games are good for your health
- 8 lợi ích cho sức khỏe khi chơi game - Game iWin on 8 ways video games are good for your health
- 8 lợi ích cho sức khỏe khi chơi game - Game MyFish - Thiên Đường Cá on 8 ways video games are good for your health
- 8 lợi ích cho sức khỏe khi chơi game | Tin Game on 8 ways video games are good for your health