GREE Looks North With Investment in Vancouver-Based IUGO Mobile Entertainment
Not long after investing in Tokyo-based game developers and HTML5 experts Wizcorp, Japanese social gaming company GREE (TYO:3632) has just announced a minority investment in Vancouver-based developer IUGO Mobile Entertainment.
According to the announcement, the partnership will mean that the two companies will be working closely on game development, taking advantage of IUGO’s three proprietary technologies: IUGO Games Library, IRender 3D Engine, and IUGO Mesh Social Game Engine. Hong-Yee Wong, the CEO of IUGO, commented on the partnership and what it means for the company:
Even though IUGO delivered our first game in 2003, I feel like we are just getting started because of the immense opportunities brought forward by the mobile lifestyle. Mobile gaming is soaring on a global scale, and our partnership will put us at the leading edge of this thrust."
In an interview with Business Insider yesterday, GREE’s CEO Yoshikazu Tanaka noted that his company has invested in 10 companies in the Asia region, but that they “are definitely focused on the North America and Canada are for investments” saying that it’s a good opportunity.
GREE is making a push in the North American market via its new offices in San Francisco and its global gaming platform. So far we have seen a couple of titles, Zombie Jombie and Alien Farm, and we can expect to see many more as the year progresses.
Fantasy Defense 2 review: A reminder that Plants vs. Zombies isn’t the only aw... October 4, 2013 | Xairylle
Putter King For iPad Brings You Mini Golf From Japan [VIDEO]... October 21, 2011 | Rick Martin
The WoW Starts Now: Mists of Pandaria Launches in China Today... October 2, 2012 | Steven Millward
Singaporean Startup Daylight Studios Gets $660,000 in Funding to Boost Upcoming ... June 27, 2013 | Steven Millward
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- Charles Constantino on Paging Dr. Mundo: Chinese LoL player slashes friend’s head with a cleaver over bad games
- Irven Kyle Pilones on Tales of Xillia 2 review: two years old and still awesome
- Microsoft orders 5 million units for Xbox One's China launch on It’s official: the Xbox One will cost $600 in China
- Anis SNova Ghaoui on The 5 Warcraft 3 custom maps that need to be in Dota 2
- lich king on 8 things that piss off carry players in Dota 2
- reviewtruth.com on Microsoft thinks it can sell more Xbox Ones by going exclusive with Amazon India
- Harry Anto on The 5 Warcraft 3 custom maps that need to be in Dota 2
- Joe cesare on Line: Disney Tsum Tsum review: cuteness overload
- Nap Esguerra on Paging Dr. Mundo: Chinese LoL player slashes friend’s head with a cleaver over bad games
- League of legends and dota 2 suck on Why is League of Legends more popular than Dota 2 in Asia?