GREE and Konami Release ‘Metal Gear Solid: Social Ops’ in Japan
Back at the Tokyo Game Show earlier this year, Metal Gear Solid was prominently displayed at the GREE (TYO:3632) booth, in anticipation of the upcoming release in Japan. That release – together with publisher Konami (NYSE:KNM) – is today, as Metal Gear Solid: Social Ops has finally been released.
For now, the card battle RPG rendition of the popular franchise is only available in Japanese, but it’s a high-profile addition to GREE’s gaming portfolio in its home market.
The 3D graphics look very impressive, and it includes elements that Japanese elements will enjoy, like gacha which allows you to win new cards. I’ve never really gotten deep into this franchise, but nevertheless I find it interesting to see the game presented as a card battle game. I guess it does keep the controls simple, even though the graphics of the battle scenes make the action appear complex.
Japan is pretty crazy about card battle games, with the most famous export thus far being Cygames’s Rage of Bahamut on Mobage. If you’d like to learn more about the genre, Serkan Toto has a great explanation here.
You can check out the promo video for Metal Gear Solid: Social Ops below. And if you’d like to try it out for yourself, it’s available for download over on Apple’s app store, and over on Google Play. Screenshots are below. [h/t VS Media]
Singapore’s Springloaded Games is going to be at PAX East... February 24, 2014 | Mary-Anne Lee
Nise Koi Maji Kore review: Straight up digital prostitution... January 30, 2014 | Christopher Allison
Collaborate, create, code and cram for fun at the Global Game Jam 2014... January 21, 2014 | Xairylle
Vici Gaming emerges victorious over the West in EMS ONE... December 9, 2013 | Xairylle
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- Ez Lyfe on Why is the next major Dota 2 tournament only including one Chinese team?
- Only one team can join the next major Dota 2 tournament on BurNIng and rOtk officially announce retirement as players
- joseph on 7 kinds of solo mid players you will encounter as a teammate in Dota 2
- Canada’s Play It Interactive closes $1.1m funding round, moves in on India on What Nintendo’s new consoles for emerging markets need to do to really succeed
- AndreaD on 7 kinds of solo mid players you will encounter as a teammate in Dota 2
- Someone’s bringing Pokemon to Dota 2 and he needs help on The 5 Warcraft 3 custom maps that need to be in Dota 2
- Summon Masters review | Summon Master Hacks,Summon Master Cheats on Darkrima first impressions: the game is masturbating
- ari on Garena brings FIFA Online 3 to Singapore and Malaysia today
- Dedy Sofyan on Would you buy these Dota 2 nano plushie USB Stick Heroes?
- Puzzle & Dragons developer Gungho is setting up shop in Singapore on Candy Crush developer acquires Singapore’s Nonstop Games for $6M cash, employees get $10M