Kabam Acquires Beijing-based Games Studio Balanced Worlds
Social gaming giant Kabam has announced its acquisition of China-based Balanced Worlds Studio. The latter is a game development company established in 2006 which specializes in 3D social games. The terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
Balanced Worlds is led by three North Americans including CEO Christopher Pfeiffer . His team of 17 will join Kabam’s Beijing office in the city’s Central Business District, and bring Kabam’s total staff in the city to over 90. Kabam’s president, Andrew Sheppard, highlighted what the acquisition means for his company:
The Balanced Worlds team brings a strong discipline and creative flare in 3D game development that will complement Kabam’s expanding portfolio of games. […] By merging Balanced Worlds’ expertise into Kabam’s already robust studio in Beijing, Kabam will continue to diversify its mobile offerings beyond the enormously popular strategy games Kabam is known for.
Balanced Worlds released the Bomberman-ish Bomb Buddies earlier this year, which is available to play on PC and on Facebook. You can check out a sample of the gameplay below.
Kabam’s Beijing studio has worked on titles like The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle-earth, and Kingdoms of Camelot: Battle for the North.
You may get a chance to play She Diao ZERO this summer... May 23, 2014 | C. Custer
How China’s UCWeb Plans To Invest $480 Million in the Next 3 Years... May 7, 2013 | Willis Wee
Rumor: Ferrari_430 to join Team DK…but who is he replacing?... July 28, 2014 | C. Custer
OMG denies recruiting Korean players (sort of)... July 6, 2014 | C. Custer
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- I despise the idiot calling out on Lowie on Strife review: NOT another LoL or Dota clone
- Axel Leona on These new Playstation consoles make me want to throw my money at them
- Shadow Kings: Dark Ages Impressions (Web Browser) - Gamers Sphere on Qihoo 360 partners with Goodgame Studios to bring Empire: Four Kingdoms to China
- Renz Mones Larracas on These new Playstation consoles make me want to throw my money at them
- Where Are The Warrior Women? | The Daily Geekette on League of Legends has been the top game in Korean net cafes for 100 weeks straight
- Geo Pelayo on Would you play Kingdom Under Fire II on the PS4?
- Jentle on Games in Asia’s favorite JRPGs
- gamer on Steam finally adds the Philippine Peso to supported currencies
- Crow Westwood on These new Playstation consoles make me want to throw my money at them
- Glenn on Steam finally adds the Philippine Peso to supported currencies