Line Reveals Latest Financial Figures, 53% Of Revenue From In-Game Purchases
Popular messaging app Line was spun off as a subsidiary of NHN (KRX:035420) earlier this year, which means we’re going to get quarterly financial updates on the app’s progress. In figures for Q2 2013, now that Line has over 200 million registered users, we see that the free service brought in a staggering JPY 9.77 billion ($100.7 million) in revenue.
That figure includes in-game purchases (53 percent), sticker pack purchases (27 percent), official accounts, and sponsored/branded stickers. Line app’s revenue was up 66.9 percent over the previous quarter. It has sky-rocketed from $3.1 million in Q2 2012:
The core messaging app now accounts for 76 percent of the revenue at the spin-off, Line Corporation. Its total revenues for Q2 this year hit JPY 12.8 billion ($131.9 million). Akira Morikawa, the CEO of Line Corp, says they “aim to achieve 300 million users within 2013.” That’s possible with its global expansion, despite strong competition from Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, and other Asia-made apps like WeChat.
Aside from social gaming and the ubiquitous animated stickers/emoticons, Line has lots more monetization channels in mind as the social messaging app seeks to become a broad social platform. It’s already trying out e-book and manga publishing and launched a news app last month as the company seeks to transfer NHN’s web portal model to the smartphone age.
(Editing by Enricko Lukman)
PlayStation Vita gets Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment in 2014... October 8, 2013 | Xairylle
Comcept’s Mighty No.9 to use Unreal Engine, finale livestream on October 1... September 30, 2013 | Xairylle
Blade and Soul gets a Japanese release date plus new anime trailer... March 10, 2014 | Christopher Allison
Line’s Now Got 120 Million Users And Line Play Rocks Southeast Asia... March 13, 2013 | Enricko Lukman
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- ungasis on Here are the Pinoy Dota 2 team line-ups that you need to know about
- Boy Invoker on Here are the Pinoy Dota 2 team line-ups that you need to know about
- pinoyistrash on 7 kinds of players on the Dota 2 SEA server
- New Assassin’s Creed games, developed in Singapore, will reach Asia only on Nov 13 on Assassin’s Creed Rogue’s Chinese version will launch on day one
- Here are the Pinoy Dota 2 team line-ups that you need to know about on SMM Cyberslam : who won and who attended (GALLERY)
- Here are the Pinoy Dota 2 team line-ups that you need to know about on Competitive Pinoy Dota 2: why the frequent roster changes have to stop
- Want to know how to build an Indie Gaming Studio? Learn from the experts – Jakob and Saiyai | Pocket PlayLab on Games in Asia Meetup Bangkok: how to build an indie gaming studio
- DvR.PRiDE on 7 kinds of players on the Dota 2 SEA server
- road on What Pinoys really are saying when you play Dota 2 with them
- Sajjad Ali on Here are the Pinoy Dota 2 team line-ups that you need to know about