GREE’s ‘Metal Gear Solid: Social Ops’ Hit 100,000 Downloads in First 2 Days
Metal Gear Solid cards, Tokyo Game Show 2012[/caption]
VS Media points out this morning that Metal Gear Solid: Social Ops, which was released just last week by GREE (TYO:3632) and Konami (NYSE:KNM), hit 100,000 downloads in the first two days after its release .
As we noted last week, MGS is a high-profile addition to GREE’s portfolio of games. And while I’m told that there are no immediate plans for an English version of Metal Gear Solid: Social Ops for GREE’s global platform just yet, it’s hard to imagine that such a prominent title would not be rolled out internationally if success in Japan were to continue.
Late last week there was news that GREE had cut 25 jobs from its platform business in the US, the first signs of growing pains in what has been a year of rapid growth and expansion into markets outside of Japan. Its aggressive push into the US hasn’t yet produced a runaway hit comparable to rival DeNA’s Rage of Bahamut (developed by Cygames).
It’s recently announced FY2013 Q1 financials were down — largely because of labor costs due to expansion — but the company says that its confident a recovery trend has already started. It will be interesting to see if GREE can finally get things rolling in 2013, and whether or not it can finally land that huge hit game abroad.
Rumor: The9 in Dire Financial Straits, Big Layoffs in Some Departments... April 12, 2012 | C. Custer
Korea’s Quasi-Porn Game ‘Queen’s Blade Online’ is Coming... April 25, 2013 | C. Custer
Putter King For iPad Brings You Mini Golf From Japan [VIDEO]... October 21, 2011 | Rick Martin
Chinese Gamers Ponder How Public Opinion Should Shape Game Development... January 16, 2013 | C. Custer
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- Branded breasts used to boost game sales in Vietnam on Behind the scenes secrets with the ChinaJoy booth babes
- The Playstation brand strategy for Asia, according to Sony on Phantasy Star Online 2 preview: the galactic pretty boy adventure
- Irven Kyle Pilones on If you’ve hated mobile RPGs, Cross Summoner could change your mind
- Mille Paner on If you’ve hated mobile RPGs, Cross Summoner could change your mind
- Apung Jokay on China’s craziest WOW player has 247 level-90 accounts, and there’s more…
- Jayvee Garbonera on China’s craziest WOW player has 247 level-90 accounts, and there’s more…
- Vladimir on Branded breasts used to boost game sales in Vietnam
- Mgmg Myint on Branded breasts used to boost game sales in Vietnam
- John Tolentino on Branded breasts used to boost game sales in Vietnam
- Rob Gian on Branded breasts used to boost game sales in Vietnam