GREE’s ‘Metal Gear Solid: Social Ops’ Hit 100,000 Downloads in First 2 Days
Metal Gear Solid cards, Tokyo Game Show 2012[/caption]
VS Media points out this morning that Metal Gear Solid: Social Ops, which was released just last week by GREE (TYO:3632) and Konami (NYSE:KNM), hit 100,000 downloads in the first two days after its release .
As we noted last week, MGS is a high-profile addition to GREE’s portfolio of games. And while I’m told that there are no immediate plans for an English version of Metal Gear Solid: Social Ops for GREE’s global platform just yet, it’s hard to imagine that such a prominent title would not be rolled out internationally if success in Japan were to continue.
Late last week there was news that GREE had cut 25 jobs from its platform business in the US, the first signs of growing pains in what has been a year of rapid growth and expansion into markets outside of Japan. Its aggressive push into the US hasn’t yet produced a runaway hit comparable to rival DeNA’s Rage of Bahamut (developed by Cygames).
It’s recently announced FY2013 Q1 financials were down — largely because of labor costs due to expansion — but the company says that its confident a recovery trend has already started. It will be interesting to see if GREE can finally get things rolling in 2013, and whether or not it can finally land that huge hit game abroad.
Square Enix’ Seiken Densetsu is coming to mobile this year, teaser site no... February 27, 2014 | Xairylle
Chain of Souls review: more than scantily-clad girls with a match-3 mechanic... March 25, 2014 | Mary-Anne Lee
Catch the opening sequence and gameplay footage for Metal Gear Solid: The Phanto... September 25, 2013 | Lester Wong
Localizing Plants vs Zombies for China, and PopCap’s Plans for APAC... May 15, 2012 | Willis Wee
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- Gamerfunder: the first Dota 2 stock market on Strife open beta available now globally (and you’ll never guess the new feature it includes)
- Renz Villanera on No Netflix, no problem. Xbox One will have Starhub TV streaming app in Singapore
- Renz Villanera on Two lucky World of Tanks players will be sent to PAX Australia
- Cricket Match review: Tiny Mogul made Candy Crush for cricket fans on 5 reasons why Line’s Disney Tsum Tsum is going to consume your life
- Two lucky World of Tanks players will be sent to PAX Australia on Razer adds Kraken Pro headset to its World of Tanks product line
- JL on Discussion: what’s your favorite RPG?
- Cricket Match review: Tiny Mogul made Candy Crush for cricket fans on Juice Cubes: a well-made Candy Crush clone
- Alex HOratio on No Netflix, no problem. Xbox One will have Starhub TV streaming app in Singapore
- Xbox One will have Starhub TV Anywhere streaming app in Singapore on Xbox One to launch in Taiwan and China simultaneously, but guess where it’s cheaper!
- SAm VM on What Twitch’s $970 million acquisition by Amazon could mean for Asia