GREE Officially Releases NFL Shuffle, Still Not Ready For Prime Time [Update: Now it's ready!]
Today GREE (TYO:3632) announced that it is officially releasing its NFL-branded card battle game for iPhone, called NFL Shuffle. Of course, regular readers of this blog may recall that the game was actually soft launched back around Christmas time, at which point I gave it a test run and gave my impressions. I’m a big NFL fan, so I enjoyed it — but there were more than a few bugs, as I noted at the time.
But it was, after all an early release, so it’s to be expected that there might be some wrinkles to iron out. So now that GREE is ‘officially’ releasing this one, one would think that all the bugs are fixed, yes? Regrettably not. Update: A subsequent update seems to have fixed most of the issues. Great to see them finally on top of this!
The tasks listed in the ‘goals’ section still aren’t all functional, notably ‘Message a friend’ and ‘Win in overtime.’ Thankfully, the mentoring function has been fixed since I originally looked at the game, so the issues above are only minor annoyances.
In addition to those, however, any NFL fan will probably find that the range of cards doesn’t appear to be as wide as you might expect. I mean, there’s only so many time that you can draw chunky Jets linebacker Mike DeVito when you have your hopes on a Adrian Peterson or RGIII… The level of difficulty is unusual too, as the game start out easy as pie, but when you graduate to veteran, winning is the later stages is suddenly impossible unless you shell out for gold to buy premium cards (which I guess is the business model).
In any case, I should say that it’s not a bad game overall. But I’m disappointed that the minor issues were not fixed before this ‘official’ release, because otherwise I think the game has a lot of potential. Football fans could also try out DeNA’s recently released NFL Matchups, which looks to be almost the same game, although I have yet to try it out yet.
And if the card battle games don’t cut it for you, there’s always that little thing called the Superbowl coming up soon (Prediction: Niners 34 – Ravens 31).
Gaming Madness in China: Attacking the Police, Driving out a Japanese Porn Star,... May 23, 2013 | C. Custer
Puzzle & Dragons hits 20 million users in Japan, launches in UK... October 18, 2013 | Dr. Serkan Toto
China’s Teen Gamers Revealed, From In-Depth Demographics to Deepest Desire... March 27, 2013 | C. Custer
Puzzle Oku review: money problems done right... December 23, 2013 | Christopher Allison
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- What has happened to the Pinoy Dota culture in recent years? on The Facebook video of a kid trash talking is not okay
- What has happened to the Pinoy Dota culture in recent years? on What Pinoys really are saying when you play Dota 2 with them
- Oh My Girl “Famale Power” | Well Played on Rumor: China’s OMG to establish team Oh My Girl, an all-female League of Legends team
- asfd on 12 signs you’ve been working in the games industry for too long
- Getting Xbox One games in India just got a whole lot cheaper on Here’s why you can only buy the Xbox One on Amazon in India
- Getting Xbox One games in India just got a whole lot cheaper on You can now pre-order your Xbox One in India, but through Amazon only
- What has happened to the Pinoy Dota culture in recent years? on We broke up because of DOTA and made a song about it
- What has happened to the Pinoy Dota culture in recent years? on 3 reasons why I still play in LAN shops even when I have those games at home
- A Malaysian game dev grant deadline for 2014 is soon. on Good news for Malaysian game devs: MDeC announces more support
- assaji tjahjadi on 12 signs you’ve been working in the games industry for too long