Korea’s Playnery Scores $3.7 Million in Funding, Aims to Make Social Gaming 3D
Korean game development studio Playnery has been growing quickly since it opened in October of last year. Already partnered up with Zynga to distribute its forthcoming first title Mother of Myth, now Playnery has secured $3.7 million in funding, led by Japan’s Softbank Ventures. Qualcomm and Stonebridge Capital also put some money into the round.
Playnery specializes, notes TheNextWeb, in 3D RPG gaming, whilst also making the titles social and playable in any recent web browser. The startup uses its own, self-developed 3D gaming engine. In this way, it’s pushing forward the current social gaming model of simplistic action that began with things like Farmville. The investment arm of Japanese telco Softbank is clearly impressed with this new vision for social and mobile gaming; SoftBank Ventures’ Seo Il-shik said today:
In the future we predict that the social and mobile market will break off from the casual gaming seen up until now, and achieve rapid growth with the diversification of genres such as MORPG, MMORPG, and FPS. When various user groups form and the market grows rapidly, we expect that Playnery will become a successful game developer through high quality games and global partnerships.
It’s not Softbank Ventures’ first foray into social gaming in the region, as it has also backed South Korea’s SundayToz, makers of the hit game Anipang.
Playnery’s first game, Mother of Myth, is due to launch next year, and is aiming for a global rollout in 12 languages, and will be playable on Zynga’s (NASDAQ:ZNGA) gaming platform, on Facebook (NASDAQ:FB), and as iOS and Android apps. Until then, there’s this interesting demo video of how the game will play:
(Video link for mobile readers)
Qeon Interactive Launches Heva Online in Indonesia with Pop Group CherryBelle... October 5, 2012 | Enricko Lukman
Celestian Tales: An Indonesian Retro RPG Game Comes To Kickstarter... July 10, 2013 | Enricko Lukman
Japan Overtakes US to Become Top Country for Google Play Revenues... November 30, 2012 | Rick Martin
3 Gaming Studios Come Together to Launch a Very Quirky New iOS Game... July 18, 2013 | Enricko Lukman
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- Lopez Alvin Kim on Glacier White PS4 priced for Singapore, will be available as part of Destiny bundle
- Martijn Taguas on Glacier White PS4 priced for Singapore, will be available as part of Destiny bundle
- Google will Begin Labeling Free-to-Play Games Paid and More of the Latest News | AppLift on This is proof that Southeast Asia’s game market will mirror China’s in growth
- Richard Chan on Korea to host international eSports tourney for people with disabilities; competitions in LOL, Starcraft 2, and FIFA Online 3
- The best of Asian mobile gaming: July 18 to July 25 on TianTian KuPao review: China’s most popular free iOS game isn’t free at all
July 25, 2014
July 25, 2014
July 25, 2014