Renren Takes Its Social Games Mobile, Landing on iOS
The Chinese social network Renren (NYSE:RENN) has released its World War II real-time strategy game Iron Marshal onto iOS – taking it out of the web browser and into iTunes for the first time.
It’s actually the company’s second game that has made the switch to mobile, coming one week after the iOS debut of Troubled World.
Social games are crucial to Renren in terms of both revenue and keeping a hold of users – which perhaps explains its move into self-developed titles. Right now, it is fending off a fast-growing move into gaming by Sina (NASDAQ:SINA) with its Weibo platform on one side, and a resurgent Tencent (HKG:0700) on the other which seems intent on covering the gamut from cutesy QQ games to perhaps running Blizzard’s World of Warcraft.
The brand-new Iron Marshal game for iOS runs on iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad, and costs 68 RMB (UK£6.99). But it seems to be only in the Chinese language despite being available internationally. Take a look at the game in the iTunes App Store, or check out a couple more of the promo screenshots:
China’s new World E-Sport Championships will feature a massive $800k prize... June 24, 2014 | C. Custer
Call of Duty Online beta round coming in June, development taken over by Raven... April 16, 2014 | C. Custer
Not Only on WeChat: Tencent Hints at Integrated Mobile Gaming Platform... May 6, 2013 | Willis Wee
Team DK’s LaNm to retire after The International 2014... July 12, 2014 | Xairylle
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- 4 ways China’s Netease Allstars MOBA wants to break traditions on Strife has a plan to beat LoL and Dota 2—and it might just work
- Lourence Jacaba on DDOS cheating tools hurting China’s League of Legends servers
- Zoi on Singapore and Malaysia Kingdom Under Fire II server will enter closed beta in May
- Qihoo 360 and Goodgames studios announce partnership on Clash of Clans is a big hit in China despite an in-app payment disaster
- Mushi’s G-1 challenge: is this going to be his next team? on The post-TI4 Chinese Dota 2 shuffle: here are the rosters for iG, VG, Newbee, and LGD—DK looking for new players
- Raniel Ame Sales on Would you like a Techies arcana cosmetic, announcer pack, and HUD skin?
- Humbert Brant Unay on The post-TI4 Chinese Dota 2 shuffle: here are the rosters for iG, VG, Newbee, and LGD—DK looking for new players
- Kat on CyberAgent to Close English Version of its Ameba Pigg Virtual World
- SaxtonHaven on DOTA vs. LOL: watch Chinese players on both sides talk about the rivalry
- Would you like a Techies arcana, announcer pack, and HUD skin? on Techies makes its debut in the TI4 all-star game (VIDEO)