Serkan Toto Demystifies Japanese Social Gaming
When discussing technology in Japan, there is perhaps no ‘bridge blogger’ as prolific as Serkan Toto, who in addition to blogging over on TechCrunch, has his own very informative blog devoted to the Japanese web, with a focus on mobile and social gaming.
Serkan brings a lot of news about mobile and social gaming in Japan across the language barrier, and we were pleased today when he alerted us to a new presentation that he’s put together on the country’s social gaming market. We’ve tried our best to highlight what companies like GREE (TYO:3632)  and DeNA (TYO:2432) — and today Gumi — are doing in Japan and abroad, and Serkan’s slideshow is certainly a good overview of what’s happening in that scene.
Among the most notable points that he touches on here are the special genres of games that are popular in Japan as opposed to elsewhere, as well as the ‘internationalization’ of both GREE and DeNA, which we’ve tried to cover as well. To stay up to date on Serkan’s work in the future, you can follow him on Twitter at @serkantoto.
For more on GREE, check out our interview with senior vice president of media business development, Taisei Yoshida, or explore our recent GREE infographic. We have one in the works for DeNA as well, so stayed tuned for that! ↩
Adways Indonesia Expands to Social Mobile Games... December 21, 2011 | Joshua Kevin
Gumi: From Social Networking to Social Gaming and Making Loads of Money... November 14, 2011 | Willis Wee
Bic Camera and Uniqlo Promote Upcoming Store With Epic ‘Bicqlo Vader’... September 17, 2012 | Rick Martin
Disney to Acquire Korea’s Studio Ex, Plans to Develop More Games for Asia... December 11, 2012 | Rick Martin
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- Gama Rae on Here are the Pinoy Dota 2 team line-ups that you need to know about
- Jayson on Discussion: what’s the worst thing gaming has ever done to you?
- Eric Amores on New Assassin’s Creed games, developed in Singapore, will reach Asia only on Nov 13
- Wresra on Discussion: what’s the worst thing gaming has ever done to you?
- Skylar on Discussion: what’s the worst thing gaming has ever done to you?
- ﱞﱞﱞ ﱞﱞﱞ on Hands-on with Strife’s first single-player episode, “Child of the Dawn”
- Mikee on 7 kinds of players on the Dota 2 SEA server
- Christian Vibar on Here are the Pinoy Dota 2 team line-ups that you need to know about
- Rodz Albano Jr on Hands-on with Strife’s first single-player episode, “Child of the Dawn”
- Martin Ng on Strife has a plan to beat LoL and Dota 2—and it might just work