Serkan Toto on Why Japanese Social Gaming Giants Monetize Better
Serkan Toto, expert on social mobile gaming in Japan, has been kind enough to share with us a presentation that he gave recently on the success of social gaming giants in Japan, with specific focus on GREE (TYO:3632) and DeNA (TYO:2432).
He outlines 14 reasons why these companies monetize better than Zynga (NASDAQ:ZNGA), and given the fact that these companies have been so profitable so far, anyone involved in the social gaming space would be wise to pay attention.
The entire presentation is below (or available here on slideshare), and I encourage you to check it out in its entirety. I was particularly impressed by a couple of points though, most notably that up to 70 percent of the top 20 games on GREE and Mobage currently are social card battle games. Serkan notes that these titles are big money makers, and it will be interesting to see how much these companies push card battle games in their expansion abroad.
The old guard of Japanese gaming, Nintendo, just unveiled new social features for its upcoming Wii U console. But its hard to imagine that its conventional console gaming business model can be as lucrative as what these two newcomers have brought to the gaming industry.
Atlus is reborn as Sega’s newest subsidiary... February 18, 2014 | Christopher Allison
How Popcap Games Adapted Plants Vs Zombies with Resounding Success in China... August 2, 2013 | Cheng Kun
4 reasons behind China’s poor performance at the DOTA 2 TI3 championship... August 13, 2013 | Xairylle
Next-Gen Gaming Consoles Like PlayStation 4 Are Leaving Chinese Players Behind... March 4, 2013 | C. Custer
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- Un jugador de LoL ataca a su compañero con un cuchillo on Paging Dr. Mundo: Chinese LoL player slashes friend’s head with a cleaver over bad games
- League of Legends: Se mi Batti ti Uccido - MMORPG ITALIA on Paging Dr. Mundo: Chinese LoL player slashes friend’s head with a cleaver over bad games
- These shirts prove that China’s World Elite has the best fans on The best League of Legends team in China will be decided this week in the LPL Summer playoffs
- 10 free mobile games from Vietnam you should not miss on Flappy Bird creator Dong Nguyen is working on a new game
- Sienna Storm, a hand-drawn nonlinear PC thriller from Singapore, hits Kickstarter on Candy Crush developer acquires Singapore’s Nonstop Games for $6M cash, employees get $10M
- Let’s take a look at China’s $13.5 billion online gaming industry (INFOGRAPHIC) on Oh happy day! China officially lifts game console ban
- Swing Copters review: is Dong Nguyen a one hit wonder? on Flappy Bird review: it’s frustrating, dumb, and ridiculously addictive
- Charles Constantino on Paging Dr. Mundo: Chinese LoL player slashes friend’s head with a cleaver over bad games
- Irven Kyle Pilones on Tales of Xillia 2 review: two years old and still awesome
- Microsoft orders 5 million units for Xbox One's China launch on It’s official: the Xbox One will cost $600 in China