Serkan Toto on Why Japanese Social Gaming Giants Monetize Better
Serkan Toto, expert on social mobile gaming in Japan, has been kind enough to share with us a presentation that he gave recently on the success of social gaming giants in Japan, with specific focus on GREE (TYO:3632) and DeNA (TYO:2432).
He outlines 14 reasons why these companies monetize better than Zynga (NASDAQ:ZNGA), and given the fact that these companies have been so profitable so far, anyone involved in the social gaming space would be wise to pay attention.
The entire presentation is below (or available here on slideshare), and I encourage you to check it out in its entirety. I was particularly impressed by a couple of points though, most notably that up to 70 percent of the top 20 games on GREE and Mobage currently are social card battle games. Serkan notes that these titles are big money makers, and it will be interesting to see how much these companies push card battle games in their expansion abroad.
The old guard of Japanese gaming, Nintendo, just unveiled new social features for its upcoming Wii U console. But its hard to imagine that its conventional console gaming business model can be as lucrative as what these two newcomers have brought to the gaming industry.
Japan’s DeNA Seeks Expert Advice, Puts MIT’s Joi Ito on New Advisory... June 21, 2013 | Steven Millward
Game Developers Challenge Chinese National Team to High-Stakes Soccer Match... June 20, 2013 | C. Custer
GREE Extends Partnership with Unity, Aims to Lower Costs Further for Developers... August 30, 2011 | Rick Martin
Papers, Please gets a Japanese-language version... February 7, 2014 | C. Custer
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- Paulo John D. Fernandez on Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel preview: less gravity, more loot
- Mike on This Dota 2 player activity video shows why the SEA servers are stressed
- What has happened to the Pinoy Dota culture in recent years? on Pinoy caster Tryke draws the line with #ThinkBeforeYouType
- Dee on What Pinoys really are saying when you play Dota 2 with them
- Old scores are settled as China vs. Japan face-off in Hearthstone on The China vs. Korea Masters: who are the best Hearthstone players in Asia?
- Why Globe's digital carrier billing needs more marketing push on Cherry Mobile Pinoy Appshop, home of 100 percent Pinoy-made games
- Borderlands the Pre-Sequel preview: less gravity, more loot on Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel comes to Asia with guns blazing in October
- Philippines, Malaysia, and Singapore to compete in Dragon Nest World Championship Southeast Asia qualifier on Dragon Nest hits the big screen with Dragon Nest: Warrior’s Dawn
- What has happened to the Pinoy Dota culture in recent years? on The Facebook video of a kid trash talking is not okay
- What has happened to the Pinoy Dota culture in recent years? on What Pinoys really are saying when you play Dota 2 with them