SoftBank to Take Majority Stake In ‘Puzzle and Dragons’ Maker GungHo
This is big: Japanese telecommunications giant SoftBank (TYO:9984) (the one that acquired Sprint in the US) will launch a tender offer to increase its stake in game studio GungHo Online Entertainment (3765.OS) between April 1 and 26 this year. the deal will be worth over a quarter of a billion dollars. It’s timed to coincide with GungHo conducting a 10-for-1 share split on April 1.
GungHo has produced Puzzle and Dragons, Japan’s most popular smartphone game with over 10 million users. It’s perhaps the most profitable mobile game worldwide, estimated to rack up well over US$50 million per month currently.
SoftBank (or SoftBank Mobile, to be more specific) will acquire 6.4 percent of GungHo’s total shares for 25 billion yen ($264 million). With that investment, the telco’s stake in the Puzzle and Dragons maker increases from 33.6 to 58.5 percent.
With this understanding, the company recognized the importance of enhancing mobile content by combining smartphone-focused development capability and infrastructure held by the SoftBank Mobile Group and planning and creating capability in the smartphone game industry held by the target company group to further improve the efficiency in operation of the mobile communications business, profitability and competitiveness.
After the execution of the deal, GungHo will become a SoftBank subsidiary.
Why Tower of Saviors is a mobile game worth playing... October 11, 2013 | Willis Wee
Yametai Review: sometimes heroes just need to quit while they are ahead... January 6, 2014 | Christopher Allison
Hands-on with award-winning Japanese indie puzzle game Tranth... September 20, 2013 | C. Custer
Duowan Acquires 3D Gaming Platform Startup... April 23, 2012 | Steven Millward
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- Official game for Disney’s Big Hero 6 is another match-3 puzzle RPG | Horizon Asia on How we think Gree’s Batman & the Flash: Hero Run hit 2 million downloads in 20 days
- 8 indie horror games from around Asia to help you spend Halloween alone and afraid | Horizon Asia on Tokyo Game Show proved developers are taking horror seriously again
- 8 indie horror games from around Asia to help you spend Halloween alone and afraid | Horizon Asia on DreadOut review: I’m terrified of Indonesia now
- Zombie beat ‘em up Devil’s Dare gets Halloween update | Horizon Asia on Here are some alarming facts that suggest Kickstarter game campaigns are running out of steam
- Gaming events in Asia are always more for the fans | Horizon Asia on Pokemon X & Y launch draws hundreds in Singapore (PICS)
- Indie game dev is tough whether you’re funded or not | Horizon Asia on Velocibox review: are you hardcore enough to take on this endless runner?
- 7 Tipos de Solo Mid (ruins) que você encontrará em Dota 2 | Midiálogo on 7 kinds of solo mid players you will encounter as a teammate in Dota 2
- The Secret to Successful eSports: Community - TechRaptor on The rise and fall of Mark Kern: how one man may have doomed Firefall and The9 (UPDATED)
- From Singapore to Taiwan, Gamevil is trying to lock down East Asia with another new branch | Horizon Asia on Gamevil expands its reach in Southeast Asia with new branch office
- Freedom Wars is more than just a game, and this helps players relate to it | Horizon Asia on Take down space T-Rexes in the upcoming Phantasy Star Nova hunting game