WeChat v5.0 Update Arrives on iOS With Social Gaming, Mobile Payments, and Sticker Store
The long awaited update to WeChat, the popular China-made messaging app, has arrived. This morning WeChat v5.0 for iOS is rolling out (to be followed by the Android iteration soon) with social gaming, mobile payments, and a proper sticker store. Plus a flatter iOS 7-style WeChat icon.
The WeChat sticker shop is the only surprise feature, making it easier to find the animated emoticons that have been a feature of the app from the beginning. WeChat’s mobile payments and social gaming integration have been anticipated for months, and for now are only really useful for Chinese users of the app. (Update: Indeed, a Tencent representative points out that only China users of the app – where it’s called Weixin – get the social gaming center and mobile payment functions).
WeChat has nearly 400 million registered users around the world, with just over 70 million of those outside of China.
WeChatting and gaming
WeChat’s social gaming linkage works a lot like in Line or KakaoTalk, with supported games letting you sign in via WeChat so as to share scores or challenge friends inside the messaging app. The creator of WeChat, Tencent (HKG:0700), has also updated its Bejeweled-like game TianTian Ai XiaoChu this morning to support WeChat gaming, with more third-party games expected to do so in due course. We’ve yet to see an English-language game incorporate this.
(Update: Added in above image of the sticker shop and new Hold Together feature). Mobile payments can be done in WeChat by scanning a QR code or barcode. We’ll test that out once we find a Chinese retailer that supports it.
According to WeChat’s iTunes Store page, the updated app also adds the ability to save favorite content clippings from chats or Moments, and now you can add friends nearby easily with the new Hold Together function.
WeChat v5.0 is now in the iOS App Store.
(Editing by Anh-Minh Do)
Diablo 3 Multiplayer to Feature Global Play, Mainland China Left Out?... May 3, 2012 | C. Custer
If China Really Wants Soft Power, It Should Be Making Games... August 14, 2012 | C. Custer
Sony sets up strategic department in China, preparing for a PS4 launch?... April 2, 2014 | C. Custer
The International DOTA 2 Championships 2013 Group Stages End, Five Asian Teams i... August 6, 2013 | Xairylle
Free daily Games in Asia newsletter
Make sure you don't miss a story! Get the latest headlines from Games in Asia, delivered fresh to your inbox once a day.
Have tips and news? Email Us
- Official game for Disney’s Big Hero 6 is another match-3 puzzle RPG | Horizon Asia on How we think Gree’s Batman & the Flash: Hero Run hit 2 million downloads in 20 days
- 8 indie horror games from around Asia to help you spend Halloween alone and afraid | Horizon Asia on Tokyo Game Show proved developers are taking horror seriously again
- 8 indie horror games from around Asia to help you spend Halloween alone and afraid | Horizon Asia on DreadOut review: I’m terrified of Indonesia now
- Zombie beat ‘em up Devil’s Dare gets Halloween update | Horizon Asia on Here are some alarming facts that suggest Kickstarter game campaigns are running out of steam
- Gaming events in Asia are always more for the fans | Horizon Asia on Pokemon X & Y launch draws hundreds in Singapore (PICS)
- Indie game dev is tough whether you’re funded or not | Horizon Asia on Velocibox review: are you hardcore enough to take on this endless runner?
- 7 Tipos de Solo Mid (ruins) que você encontrará em Dota 2 | Midiálogo on 7 kinds of solo mid players you will encounter as a teammate in Dota 2
- The Secret to Successful eSports: Community - TechRaptor on The rise and fall of Mark Kern: how one man may have doomed Firefall and The9 (UPDATED)
- From Singapore to Taiwan, Gamevil is trying to lock down East Asia with another new branch | Horizon Asia on Gamevil expands its reach in Southeast Asia with new branch office
- Freedom Wars is more than just a game, and this helps players relate to it | Horizon Asia on Take down space T-Rexes in the upcoming Phantasy Star Nova hunting game